Job Title: Primary Tutor
Salary: up to £30,000 dependent on experience
Reporting to: Tutor Manager
As part of its on-going commitment to progress, Gem-A is now looking to appoint a new full time Primary Tutor at its headquarters in London. Located in the heart of London’s historic Jewellery district, this is an exciting opportunity to be an integral part of a successful and growing global organization, with excellent prospects for the right candidate.
Primary Role and Responsibilities:
- Leading the teaching and development of the Gem-A’s main teaching activities which lead to the award of Gem-A’s Diplomas as well as delivering and developing short seminars, one-day workshops, weekly or three-day lab classes and longer-term courses of study at Gem-A London;
- Give periodic evening lectures or demonstrations to Gem-A’s members on a related topic of your choice;
- Working with the education team to assist in the production and delivery of the twice-yearly examinations for courses, including providing questions for the question bank;
- Work with the IT and Facilities Department to ensure that the classrooms and IT facilities are fit for purpose and properly maintained;
- Assisting in identifying and processing gemstone and instrument purchases for teaching purposes
- Evening tutoring duties will be required as part of the normal 35 hour working week;
- Occasional weekend working may be necessary and will be agreed in advance and with either time off in lieu or additional payment.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Gem-A’s Gemmology or Diamond Diploma;
- Excellent communication skills with a strong focus on delivering an engaging learning environment for students;
- Willingness to learn how to teach – tutors must pass the training City and Guilds AET Level 3 teaching course (or equivalent);
- Willingness to undertake CPD;
- Ability to travel to represent Gem-A at trade events and seminars on national and international levels;
- Strong computer skills;
- Good organizational skills.
- Experience within a teaching environment, facilitating and delivering both face-to-face and online educational programs;
- City and Guilds AET Level 3 or higher. If not held on appointment Gem-A will provide paid-for training for the course, which will need to be passed within 12 months of joining.
- At least one year’s experience in the gem, Jewellery or related industries;
- Knowledge or experience of an educational platform such as Moodle.
- Friendly, outgoing personality;
- Self-motivated and willing to work on own initiative;
- Team Player;
- Able to work across departments.
Benefits of the role:
- Paid for membership of Gem-A whilst employed by Gem-A;
- Paid for Diploma Courses in Gemmology and Diamonds. If employee leaves employ during the first year after qualifying the full cost of the course must be paid by the employee;
- Paid for Gem-A approved CPD;
- The opportunity to attend UK and International trade fairs and conferences;
- 20 days holiday (rising by one day for each consecutive year worked at Gem-A to a Maximum of 25).
All applicants must be a UK resident or have a current working visa.
Application closing date 20/11/2017