Job Description: Buyer – JewelleryMaker
Reporting to: Buying Manager
Location: Ivy House, Redditch
IMMEDIATE MEDIA CO
Immediate Media TV has an exciting position within the team in the role of Buyer, reporting to the Buying Manager.
Immediate is the special interest content and platform company. Our fast-growing, multi-platform media business is home to over 1,400 people across eight divisions. We own and operate some of the best-loved brands in the UK. And we only focus on special interest markets, engaging over 20 million passionate consumers each month, offering them world-class content and innovative new products and services.
We can sum up our mission in three words: Content. Passion. Engagement. Our focus is to help our audiences get the most out of the things they love, whatever they spend their time and energy on. Our content creators, producers and commercial teams are as passionate about their subjects as our consumers. And collectively, we are building a business that is populated by high calibre people, driven to exceed the expectations of our super engaged consumers.
Our heritage as a leading magazine media company means we focus on creating high quality, valuable content and services for our audiences. As well as being world-class at magazines, we are increasingly world-class across a range of digital platforms and business models.
From TV and video to e-commerce and digital marketplaces: we're creating exciting new experiences for our consumers, delivering effective solutions for our commercial partners and growing our business.
We operate in eight key sectors and have offices in London, Bristol, Redditch, Birmingham and Manchester. Our brands include Radio Times, olive, Mollie Makes, Homes & Antiques and highly successful digital brands including JewelleryMaker, BikeRadar and MadeForMums.com. We publish BBC Top Gear Magazine, BBC Good Food, and BBC EasyCook on behalf of BBC Worldwide as well as BBC History, BBC Gardeners’ World, BBC Focus and the CBeebies portfolio, under licence. We also publish Lonely Planet Traveller magazine for LPG Inc.
We pride ourselves as a “people business” whose culture is supportive, inclusive and nurturing, against a background of high standards and demanding result expectations. We strive to create the energy, focus and drive of a start-up whilst leveraging the scale advantages of being a business of reasonable size and maturity.
A core belief at Immediate is that motivated people, who are passionate about what they do and who enjoy their work, create high-performing, successful businesses. Developing our people is something we takes very seriously, as evidenced by the significant investments made in leadership development, as well as in cultural and management programmes. We take a long term view to career management, making sure that attention is given to grow our employees both as individuals and professionals.
Overall Job Purpose
Reporting directly to the Buying Manager, you will be responsible for delivering the category plan, including achieving sales and profitability targets, working with and attaining new suppliers and developing the range to meet business requirements.
- Support the overall business strategy, working across functions to deliver the business plan
- Creation and maintenance of strategic category plans to meet short & medium term business objectives gaining approval from line manager
- Source and purchase merchandise to meet customer needs in terms of choice, price and innovation
- Review historical data, trends and previous strategies to ascertain lessons learnt for future seasons
- Develop and maintain an in-depth understanding of the market, supplier base, competitors and ever changing customer requirements for all products within the category
- Develop and maintain strategic supplier relationships
- Develop a sourcing strategy for given category to contribute the overall business plan
- Ensure new product development plan is in place to deliver customer and business requirements
- Work with the supply base and warehouse team to minimise returns and solve QC problems should they arise
- Work with the Merchandising team to deliver stock £ budgets and manage the range taking into account existing stock levels
- Negotiate with suppliers to deliver joint business plans and to deliver intake margin growth to the business
- Manage the critical date path with internal teams and the supply base to ensure on time delivery of products into the business
- Proven experience of gemstone buying and relevant qualifications
- Able to work in a fast paced environment
- Strong organisational skills with the ability to manage buying responsibility for a large number of sku’s
- Develop strategic supplier relationships
- Undertake visits as and when required i.e., Trade shows & supplier visits (overseas trips included)
- Experience within a similar buying position
- Ability to Plan, prioritise and focus on key issues
- Self-starter and able to work to exacting deadlines
- Strong Negotiation Skills