Jewellery and Watch Valuer
Why not join our experienced and passionate team at The Birmingham Assay Office?
Become part of our passionate valuation team. We are looking for valuers either as Contractors, with at least one day per week availability, or as full-time members of our team.
Working from our Birmingham Assay Office location and/or from customer stores, our valuers produce professional jewellery and watch valuations for a diverse range of private and trade customers.
The ideal valuer must possess the relevant knowledge, education and experience to undertake all elements of the valuer role independently to a standard that meets the high-quality expectations set by the business, the customer, the insurance industry, or any other legal, contractual or commercial stakeholder.
Relevant equipment to carry out the role will be provided.
- Correctly identifying and assessing/grading mounted or loose diamonds using GIA nomenclature and quality assessment factors, using CZ master reference stones, x10 loupe, microscope and any other desk-top equipment as required
- Accurate Gemstone identification using a range of desk-top supplied equipment on loose or mounted stones as presented for valuation
- Accurately measuring and calculating weights for loose and set gemstones
- Accurate identification of precious metals using acid testing if required and Hallmark details
- Determining the most appropriate valuation approach and completing necessary market-level research
- Producing concise and relevant working notes to support and justify valuation
- Producing clear wording used for the valuation commentary on final customer-facing document
- Supporting customer service team in dealing with valuation and technical related queries as required
- Responsible for delivering agreed personal output targets to agreed quality.
- To ensure personal knowledge and competency is maintained through personal and professional development in related subjects
EVENT day/Retail location valuations
As above with the addition of;
Travel as required to events to deliver the pre-planned schedule of face to face customer valuations
Photography and capturing customer data for the final document
Direct customer interaction throughout the valuation day event
The above is not an exhaustive list of duties and you will be expected to perform different tasks as necessitated by your role within the organisation and the overall business objectives of the organisation.
Full training would be given on our bespoke system, and all equipment supplied.
- Passion for the subject and role
- Proven, relevant previous professional valuation experience
- Clear and confident communication skills
- Ability to build effective relationships with a range of internal and external customers
- Diligent; strong attention to detail, accuracy and consistency.
- Good time management; able to effectively prioritise own workload and multiple demands
- Self-motivated and able to work with minimal supervision.
- Supportive, team player
- Flexible attitude
- FGA/DGA or equivalent gemmological qualifications
- Quality focussed
- Passion to continual learning and ensuring skills and knowledge is current
FGA or equivalent – Coloured gemstone qualification
DGA / GIA – Diamond qualification
Degree in an associated subject