In 1968 Richard Blampied returned to Jersey as a newly qualified goldsmith to open a small jewellery workshop, behind the current premises in Charing Cross, St Helier, Jersey.
The site, now owned by Richard, is part of Jersey’s history. Dating back to 1763, it was once Jersey’s main town prison and the site of St Helier’s west town gate.
In those early years, most of the work undertaken by Richard and his late wife Heidi, was in the form of repairs for other St Helier jewellers, including long established family businesses, some sadly no longer trading. This work helped to fund their initially small production of handmade jewellery, which was designed by Heidi, and crafted by them both. The details of his first job – including its charge are still etched in Richard’s memory; 13 shillings and sixpence to replace a damaged opal!